In 1728, Caroline County was formed from the adjacent counties of Essex, King and Queen, and King William and became the 29th county in Virginia. Our county was formed during the first year of King George II’s reign. The county was named after his wife, Queen Caroline of Ansbach, who was born in 1683. Currently the county consists of approximately 350,000 aces with 76,000 acres being Fort A. P. Hill.
The county has many people, places, and events of historical significance that have contributed not only to Virginia’s past but our nation’s humble beginnings.
In 1968, a group of local concerned citizens gathered to form the Caroline Historical Society, Inc. (CHS), as a non-profit organization, for the purpose of educating and preserving the history of Caroline County. Since that initial meeting, CHS’s membership has grown to include well over a hundred members and we have accumulated thousands of documents and artifacts related to Caroline County’s history. Those items are now preserved by CHS and displayed, at various times, for the general public’s education and enjoyment.
CHS is currently located at 121 N Main Street in the Sidney E. King Arts Center, Bowling Green, Virginia, 22427. In cooperation with the Sidney E. King Arts Center, historical and art displays are available for viewing Thursday thru Saturdays 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. as well as on special events days such as Memorial Day and the annual Harvest Festival in October. Our quarterly newsletters is sent to members in January, April, July, and October, prior to regular membership meetings. Social media, in the form of Facebook, is also used to promote CHS through periodic updates, schedules, recent donations of items, photos of recent events, etc.